~ Randy ~ Olga ~ Lena ~Walter~Edmund

~ Randy ~ Olga ~ Lena ~Walter~Edmund

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Lena's Birth Story




(Written April 2011)

(warning: if you don't like the details... don't read)

I had plans to birth Lena naturally. ;)  I took a birthing class and felt pretty prepared, I had written a birth plan for my doctor and nurses so that they would know my wants of doing natural and being able to walk around between contractions, etc… to help.  

The night before Lena arrived we went to Chipotle with Randy’s family who were visiting for Andy’s 4th birthday, I thought for sure I had at least another week before Lena would decide to come.  Well, the thing I least expected happened and my water broke (I had heard that less than 5% of women have their water break before labor) at about 2:00am (June 23, 2010), I was sleeping and felt a couple of mild contractions, but at the time, I didn’t know they were contractions, I figured I was just having gas pains… then I thought I felt wet around my legs, then I thought “you’re kidding yourself Olga, it can’t be happening now…”  and I fell back a sleep for another hour or so… then I got up to use the bathroom and realized that it was really happening, my water had broken!  I called out to Randy several times until he woke up, “Um, I think my water broke”  and he said “Are you sure?” he didn’t want to make a trip to the hospital for nothing at 3:00am and I said, “… pretty sure…” so he got up to see and agreed with me.  I got some new clothes on and a towel to sit on in the car (our bags and carseat were already packed and ready to go).  I called the hospital as we left the house letting them know that my water broke and that we were headed in… We made it there about half an hour later and the whole time I was sitting in the car just trying to comprehend that the day was finally here, this was really going to happen… it boggled my mind. J  

When we got to the hospital the nurse did a test to make sure that my water had actually broken, the first test came out negative so she asked to “take a look” saying that it’s possible that I might have just “peed my pants” and I thought, “I’m pretty sure that’s not what it is”  anyway,  after taking a look she said, “oh yeah, it definitely looks like your water broke” and she took a “better” sample to test.  They asked if I had had any contractions and I mentioned that I felt a couple when I was sleeping, but haven’t had one since (it had been about 2 hours).  The nurse called my doctor and said that since I wasn’t contracting on my own they were going to induce labor.  Now that I look back, I’ve heard that you can wait 24 hours to see if you start going into labor on your own before they need to induce labor, but the doctor immediately had them strapped me to the bed, hook me up to monitors and IV and told me I couldn’t eat anything (going against all of my requests in my birth plan).  They then put me on petossin to induce me.  I haven’t experienced any different, but from what I hear, Petossin makes contractions worse than “normal” contractions.   At first they didn’t seem too bad, Randy would look at the monitor screen and notice that I was having one and say “it doesn’t even look like you’re in pain” and I said “these aren’t too bad, I can handle this”.  About an hour later I wasn’t progressing how they wanted me to so they upped my petossin… this is when the contractions started getting really bad.  It was really hard, but I listened to some relaxing music I had prepared and tried to breath and relax through each contraction.  At this point I was sitting on a birthing ball and leaning back on Randy… with each contraction he would talk me through it, but it was really hard… I thought I had high pain tolerance, but this was worse than I had expected for sure.  After about one or two hours of this, the nurse came in and mentioned that I still wasn’t progressing enough, so they upped the petossin again.  I thought the contractions were really bad before… well now they were almost unbearable.  I would get scared every time I started to feel another one coming it was so bad.  I kept asking Randy, “remind me why I am not getting drugs?”  and he just kept encouraging and saying that I could do it and that I was doing great.  Well, they came in to check to see how dilated I was (they can’t check as often when your water has already broken from risk of infection).  Well, after all of that really hard labor and contractions, I thought that I would be more than half way there, but I was only dilated to a 5 (this was at about 2:00pm I think).  I went on about another hour with the hard contractions… I was almost in tears from the pain and from knowing I still had so much further to go so I finally broke down and received an Epidural.   The Epidural takes longer than one or two minutes to put in and you have to be completely still… meaning I would have to be completely still through one of my contractions.  They had me sit on the edge of the bed and hold on to/hug Randy.  They started putting it in and one of my contractions hit, I knew that if I moved that it could mess it up and cause problems… that was part of the reason I wanted to go natural… so I willed myself to hold completely still and was successful.  Oh the relief!  It was so wonderful!  For the next hour and a half I SLEPT through my contractions!  The nurse checked me soon after I received my Epidural and I was at a 7, wow, I was so glad I got it I don’t think I could hold out that much longer to get to a 10 (That was about 4:00 or 5:00pm).  Well, after my nap I noticed that I could start feeling my contractions again, I did not want that… I thought if I got the epidural, might as well make sure it was working...  I had been pushing the button (that delivers the meds), but my feeling was still coming back.  I called the nurse and she came in to check everything… I guess that the epidural had run out or that it wasn’t even delivering it to my body when I pressed the button.  The anesthesiologist came in and told me that he nurse didn’t know what she was talking about, and gave me an extra dose through my IV… I still don’t know what the true story was, I just knew that it was starting to hurt again.   At around 6:30pm my mother-in-law and sister-in-law decided that they wanted to just come to the hospital to ask the people at the desk how I was doing (out of curiousity) but the people at the desk were not allowed to share any information and sent them to our room.  We knew that we didn’t want anyone but us (Randy and I) and the doctor and nurse in the room during labor and delivery so before the nurse let them in she asked them who they were and came to tell us.  Well, me being in pain and not in the best mood didn’t want them to come in so Randy went out to let them know how things were going.  During that time the nurse checked me again and guess what!  It was it, I was at the 10!  The nurse went out to tell Randy and Jessie (his sister) knew how important that was and told him to get in there and her and her mom left to wait for the call.  The nurse called the doctor and we worked on some “practice pushes”.   I only had to push for about 15 minutes before Lena arrived.  In fact, they told me to stop pushing so as to not chance having the baby before the doctor arrived.  A while ago Randy mentioned that he didn’t really want the watch when the baby came out but as I was pushing he got so excited and couldn’t resist looking.  He told me, “I see her head, I see her head” when she crowned and a couple of pushes later  Lena arrived at 8:12pm on Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010.  I could not believe it.  She was here!   They placed her on my chest skin-to-skin while I delivered the after birth and Randy cut the cord.  I then worked on getting her to nurse for the first time which went pretty well.  They then proceeded to weigh and measure her and do all of the other tests that they do.  It’s so crazy to think about how new I was at it and how much has happened since then.  Life is amazing and I am so grateful to be able to take part in its creation.  I’m so grateful to be the mother of Lena Elizabeth Williams and am excited for the years ahead of us.  

No comments: