~ Randy ~ Olga ~ Lena ~Walter~Edmund

~ Randy ~ Olga ~ Lena ~Walter~Edmund

Friday, April 27, 2012

Nurse's Elbow

So we took a trip to the doctor's on Wednesday...

I was watching Jimmy that day and he was climbing on me while Sam played with Lena... of course he's the zio (uncle) and therefore has to teas and toss them around right?  Well, it was bound to happen...  I mean, my dad was supposed to be able to say "I told you so" after constantly getting on Sam's back about being too rough with the kids.  Surprisingly enough, he wasn't even swinging her around when it happened, he was simply picking her up by her hands and lifting her high enough so that he could kiss her tummy... then came the unbearable sad face followed by screams and cries.  After about a minute of crying and me asking Lena what the matter was I realized that every time I even thought about touching her arm, she would flinch and scream louder... we took her to the doctor and found out that this particular occurrence of the head of radius slipping out from the anular ligament of radius is known as the "nurse's elbow" (I totally used wikipedia for that... as much as I'd like to say I remembered it from anatomy...).   This is because back in the "olden" days when nurses would watch the kids they would tug on their arm to get them to cross the street or something like that and would yank it just enough to cause this dislocation.  The nice thing about this "nurse's elbow" is that it's a REALLY easy fix.  The doctor simply took hold of her elbow, positioned her arm and bent it toward her face until he heard it "pop" back into place... in no time she was using it to grab things and point at the fish in the water tank... happy as a clam. :)  Apparently this sort of thing is fairly common and the doctor was sure to let Sam know this so that he wasn't feeling guilty.  He said "yeah, usually by the third or fourth time the parents are popping it back into place by themselves"  (in the rare case that it happens more than once or twice).  We're going to try and not let it happen again. :)  Oh how awesome would it be to be a doctor and know how to fix all these things?   One day... maybe...

No comments: