~ Randy ~ Olga ~ Lena ~Walter~Edmund

~ Randy ~ Olga ~ Lena ~Walter~Edmund

Thursday, November 17, 2011

There She Goes...

It happened! We took my little sister Eva to the MTC yesterday. Right after dropping her off I felt more excited for her than sad for her leaving. It was really exciting to see the missionaries there ready to pick her up and help her bring her luggage into the MTC. It was excited to think of her going into this new place with a LOT of structure but at the same time a LOT of learning and adventure. I was excited for her to have all of it organized for her and planned for her. :) In fact, on the way home when I was riding in the car with Randy and Lena, and I said to Randy "I'm hungry for an adventure! ... I wish I could go to Italy for a couple of years!" Randy reassured me that he would take me to Italy and that we would have an adventure.

Well, that got me to thinking... the other day a co-worker of mine reminded me of the movie "Up" and how at the end, the main character reads the note from his wife, Ellie, thanking him for the adventure. They never got around to going on a big trip but she was able to realize that living, in and of itself, is an adventure. As I thought of this I looked over at my baby girl mimicking my "washing" actions with her washcloth and rubbing her tummy with it. Later that night she drank from a BIG glass of water all by herself without dumping it down her front. My life is full of amazing things and I need to remember that even if we aren't leaving to a foreign country for a couple of years or going on a big trip, every day is so amazing and precious. I'm so grateful for MY adventure, for my Randy, for my Lena and for my life. I'm excited to be able to spend the rest of my life with them and to have the adventure of love and life together with them. :)

So anyway, last night it really hit me that my little sister was gone for a whole 18 months! I looked at my fridge and noticed a drawing she left on it and began to really realize that I couldn't call her whenever I wanted. I'm really going to miss that. Today is really hard, coming to terms with the fact that she's gone for 18 months. I'm so excited for her, but it will be hard not having her with us, though I'm sure it will go fast. :) I already sent her a letter and will probably send another one today. Hopefully she won't get sick of them!

I'm so proud of her for her decision to serve the Lord. Ti volio bene Sorella Comollo! :)

Here are some pictures from yesterday:

The day started when we all met at my parents house
Lena found a potato and climbed up onto a chair by the table... did I mention she can climb now?


Rosie got Eva a charm bracelet to remember us by, this is her getting ready to put it on Eva :)


Here is Sam on the big day. That shirt makes his eyes look EXTRA blue. :)


One last silly kissy face picture with Eva before she leaves. (It's one of the things that sisters to best right? ;) )


Here's Jimmy standing by all of Eva's luggage.


My dad and I on the big "last" day.


Last but not least, Rosie and Alex brought everyone patries from Gormandies french pastry shop. It was one of Eva's last requests. :) They are so sweet!


We then made our way to good old Provo, Utah (where Eva was born) to get some lunch at Five Star BBQ. It is a really good BBQ place owned by Sam's good friend:

This is my cousin Matt (who served his mission in Chile.. where Randy served his and who also works at the MTC now), my Aunt Linda and my dad. :)


My cousins Brian and Courtney with Eva. :)

After lunch we headed over to meet across the street from the MTC. Since we were car-a-vanning and knew we wouldn't be able to bring more than one car in to drop Eva off at the MTC so we wanted to meet across the street first to say our last goodbyes:

Lena fell asleep in the car on the short trip from Lunch to the MTC... she was a tired girl.


One last family picture.


And Eva with Sam since he was the one taking the family picture :)


One last picture with Eva. :) Well, one of the last ones. :)

Then, last but not least, my mom, Rosie, Eva and I made our way to the MTC to drop her off. It was pretty quick, they have you pull over at a number (ours was #13) and missionaries are ready to grab your luggage and whisk you off. We did have just enough time to take a couple of very last pictures:
There's the Elder who helped grabbed Eva's luggage.


I think my mom hugged Eva for at least one whole minute... I know I shouldn't have been, but the teenager in me made me feel just a little embarrassed.. that's what mom's do best right? ;) jk


A gentleman who was dropping off his own son right in front of us said he would take a picture of us all together if we did the same for him and his family... sounded like a good idea to us so of course we agreed. :)

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hopefully this next year and a half goes by quickly for you.