I am definitely not the best baker. In fact, most of the time I try to bake something for a neighbor or a friend but it doesn't end up turning out right or looking right, so I end up eating it all and of course it wouldn't be the most healthy (cookies or brownies) so I would also feel really guilty and get depressed about the fact that I spent the whole day eating only cookies so that they wouldn't go to "waste". Well, I'm constantly striving to be a healthier person and to live a healthy lifestyle, so the previous example had left a bitter taste in my mouth when it came to baking. I always assumed that baking led to something that wasn't good for you... i.e. cookies, brownies, bread... stuff using white flower... simple carbohydrates that are essentially the same as spooning sugar into your mouth. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE eating these things but am trying to make it more occasional.
Since then I have made the personal discovery of healthy substitutes in baking. :) Some of these are, substituting any oils or melted butter for applesauce (no sugar added), "pear sauce" or mashed squash. :) Also, if you do the substitute with fruit then you can usually use half the sugar... and it's also good to substitute white sugar for brown sugar or honey. I've also been trying to slowly convert from refined grains to whole grains by substituting my white flour with whole wheat flour.
One of my favorite things to make and use for breakfast or snacks is healthy bran muffins. :) With my bran muffins I also substitute butter milk with plain, nonfat yogurt and they turn out great! I will have to post the recipe as soon as I get the time to type it up. :)
Here are a couple of pictures of Lena helping me make our bran muffins:
No comments:
Post a Comment