I wanted to make sure and remember her today on her birthday. Unfortunately nonna Olga lived in Italy so I was only able to see her at two different times in my life. One when she visited the states (I was pretty young, maybe 7) and one when I had the opportunity to go visit her in Torino, Italy. She lived in the house that she, my dad and his siblings were actually born in. I love the history in every building there in Italy.
One of my fondest memories of her was when she told my sister and I a story while sitting in her front room... oh how I miss that house... the story was about a time when someone came to the door to bring by a gift... it was some champaign bottles I believe. As she told about these bottles she pointed to a china cabinet type thing in the room which still had the bottles... unopened... in it. The reason she never opened them is because when her husband got home (my nonno) he scolded her for accepting the gift. The reason was because it was a bribe. See, my nonno worked for FIAT, the big car company in Italy. He worked as one of the people who decides who to hire and I guess it was quite common for people to offer him gifts in hopes that he would give them a job. My nonna didn't realize this and from then on did not accept any gifts... of course he could not give EVERYONE a job, unfortunately.
Another story she likes to tell is about a time when they were struggling financially and their car broke down or something to that effect. My nonna loved to play the lottery so she went that day in hopes that she would win something to help them in their situation... well, guess what... she DID!!! And not only did she win "something" she won the EXACT amount they needed to get the car fixed... to the Lira (like a cent to us here). What a blessing!
My nonna Olga was a very very faithful women... she was catholic and was sure to attend mass every week... in fact, she even attended mass every DAY in the weeks leading up to her visit to the U.S. because she knew she wouldn't have the chance (or didn't think she would) in the U.S. so wanted to "make up" for it. :) One time she told me mom that she would join the LDS church if she didn't have to give up coffee. She loved coffee!
Okay, so this keeps sparking new memories of her... I have one more to tell...
I remember when my nonna was in the U.S. she would spend ALL DAY LONG cooking, like Italians do. The food she made was so delicious. I would eat as much as I could but of course there was still some left because she made a lot. Now, if you know anything about Italians you know that they are food pushers. Guests who come to my house be ready to eat a LOT... when my dad asks "do you want some more?" whether you say "yes" or "no", the answer is "yes"... anyway, my nonna was talking to my mom one night after dinner and I could sense that she was sad... I asked my mom what was the matter (I could not understand since she could only speak Italian) and she told me that she felt like we didn't like her food because it didn't all get eaten... I told my mom to tell her that I loved the food but was just so full that I couldn't eat anymore... I could tell that my nonna really appreciated that comment and gave me a big hug. :)
She always used to call me Olghinna ("little Olga"). :)
I love and adore the memories I have of my Nonna Olga and hope that I can live up to her name. :) I am so grateful for the knowledge I have that I will see and converse with her again.
She always used to call me Olghinna ("little Olga"). :)
I love and adore the memories I have of my Nonna Olga and hope that I can live up to her name. :) I am so grateful for the knowledge I have that I will see and converse with her again.
No comments:
Post a Comment